COMING SOON: You should be able to copy and paste to a WORD DOCUMENT file and print this out if you desire. Let me know when you are finished, and if you enjoyed it...
“Woman Of Character”
Ruth was the daughter in law of Naomi, wife of Mahlon (tradition; Talmud) and the wife of Boaz and the great grandmother of David. Due to a severe famine in the ;and of Judah, Elimelech, a native of Bethlehem, immigrated to Moab with his wife, Naomi, and two sons Mahlon and Chilion. The two boys married Moabite women, Mahlon married RUTH and Chilion married Orpah. At the end of ten years, all three of the women were left widows. Naomi decided to return to Bethlehem. Despite Naomi’s protests, Ruth determined to return to Bethlehem with her. Ruth’s dedication to Naomi and to the God of Israel is stated in Ruth 1:16-17.
They arrived in Bethlehem at the time of the barley harvest. Ruth went out to glean in the fields of Boaz, a wealthy man whose relationship with his servants eloquently attests to his character (Ruth 2:4). According to Hebrew law, Ruth had a right to demand that a near kinsman of her late husband take her for his wife. Boaz had been related to her husband and was willing to marry her, but since there was another man of closer kinship, it was necessary to go through certain customary and legal measures before he could rightfully claim her. This being done, the two were married with the blessings of their neighbors. They eventually became the parents of Obed, the grandfather of David.
1. Not a Jew, but believed in the God of Israel
2. Received blessing because of her faithfulness to Naomi
3. Displayed true love to her mother in law, Naomi
4. He life pictures a sinner, who believes and is richly blessed
5. The story of Ruth is really an extension of the book of Judges
READ JUDGES 21:25
1. What created so many of the spiritual problems for Israel?
READ RUTH CHAPTER ONE
2. Why did Elimelech go to Moab?
3. Your OPINION: Good move, or a Bad move?
4. Name Elimelech’s wife and sons:
5. Who did these boys marry?
6. What happened to all the men in Naomi’s family?
7. Why did Naomi try to get rid of her daughters in law?
8. Who left? Who stayed?
9. Where was Naomi originally from?
10. What did Naomi want her friends to call her now?
12. Was she correct?
READ RUTH CHAPTER TWO
13. Who was the rich relative in Naomi’s family?
14. What did Ruth do to help provide for her family?
15. Does Boaz seem to be a good guy?
17. What advice did Boaz give to Ruth?
18. Why did he act kindly to Ruth? (vs. 11)
19. What command did Boaz give to his reapers?
20. What was Naomi’s reaction to the large haul?
READ RUTH CHAPTER THREE
21. What suggestion does Naomi give to Ruth?
NOTICE: Naomi has stopped thinking only of herself!
22. How did Ruth startle Boaz?
23. What was Boaz’s response to Ruth’s offer?
24. What was the one snag in the whole deal?
25. Why did she leave so early?
READ RUTH CHAPTER FOUR
26. When Boaz spoke to the near kinsman, why were ten men present?
27. Did the man want the land and the inheritance?
28. Did the man want Ruth?
29. Why did he decline the arrangement?
30. What strange act did the near kinsman perform to show his non-interest
in the deal?
31. Explain verse 10:
32. How did Naomi feel about Ruth’s marriage to Boaz?
33. How did the women refer to Ruth as they sought to praise her?
34. What was Ruth’s son’s name?
35. This son had a son….What was his name?
36. This son had seven sons….and the youngest was named?
37. List some ways Ruth’s faithfulness to Naomi was rewarded:
DAVID “A Man After God’s Own Heart”
READ I SAMUEL 16:1-13
1. What did God say to Samuel?
2. The next king would be the son of?
3. What was Samuel afraid of?
4. Using verse 7-- How was the king to be chosen?
5. How did this differ from the selection of the first king?
6. I Chronicles 2:13)-- How many sons did Jesse have?
7. What number son was David?
8. Describe David:
9. Who really selected this king?
READ I SAMUEL 17:20-54
10. Was David anxious to get into the battle? (vs. 22)
11. What was the reward for killing Goliath? Where was Goliath from?
12. Verse 26-- Explain David’s question:
13. What did Eliab accuse David of?
14. What did David ask Saul?
15. What did David use as an illustration of his abilities?
16. Who did David give credit to for his mighty acts?
17. Why did David refuse the armor?
18. How many stones did David choose from the brook? Why?
NOTICE: II Samuel 21:15-22
19. Why was Goliath upset?
20. Why did David say that he was going to win?
21. Was David anxious to fight Goliath? (vs. 48)
22. David’s only weapon was?
23. How did the Philistines react to Goliath’s death?
24. What did the army of Israel do?
READ II SAMUEL 2:1-32
25. David was made king over?
26. Was the whole nation united? Who led the other group?
27. How long did Saul’s son rule over Israel?
28. The captain of Saul’s army was: The captain of David’s army was:
29. When the battle occurred, which side won?
30. What happened to Asahel, Joab’s brother?
31. How many from each side died? David’s side? Ishbosheth’s side?
READ II SAMUEL 3:1, 6-12, 17-39
32. Who was winning in the bitter struggle?
33. Why did Abner decide to leave Ishbosheth’s side?
34. Why didn’t Ishbosheth try to stop him?
35. What did Abner now tell all the people of Israel? (vs. 17)
36. How did David treat Abner?
37. Why did Joab want to kill Abner? How did Abner die?
38. What was David’s reaction to Joab’s act?
39. Did the people blame David for Abner’s death? (vs. 36-37)
READ II SAMUEL 4:1-12
40. When Ishbosheth heard that Abner was dead, what did he do?
41. Who killed Ishbosheth? Why did they come to David?
42. How did David reward them for their “brave act”?
43. Jonathan’s son was? What problem did he have?
READ II SAMUEL 5:1-6; 6:6-11
44. How old was David when he began to reign?
45. How long was he the king?
46. Where was the capital city?
47. Why was the ark unstable?
48. Why did God strike Uzzah dead?
NOTICE: Even if you have good intentions, you may not be doing it God’s way…Why did Uzzah think his hands were cleaner than the ground?
READ II SAMUEL 7:1-3, 12-29
49. What did David desire to do for God?
50. Who was now the prophet of God?
51. What did God tell him in regards to David? (vs. 15-16)
52. What quality does David display in verse 18?
53. What does David promise God? (vs. 27)
READ II SAMUEL 9:1-13
54. Why did David want to find Saul’s relatives?
55. Who was the only remaining descendent of Saul?
NOTICE: David kept a promise that he made to Saul, long ago!
56. How was Mephibosheth now to be treated?
57. Who was to work the land that David gave to Mephibosheth?
READ II SAMUEL 11:1-27
58. What was David’s first mistake leading up to a bigger sin?
59. Do you think Bathsheba knew what she was doing?
60. Why do you think David sent for Uriah?
61. Did David’s plan work? Why?
62. What new plan did David come up with to get rid of Uriah?
63. What occurred after Uriah’s death? How did God fell about it?
READ II SAMUEL 12:1-25
64. Briefly relate the story Nathan told to David:
65. What did David decide? Who was Nathan talking about?
66. What two sins was David guilty of?
67. What three things were going to happen to David because of his sin? (vs. 10, 11 and 14)
68. Read verse 23-- What did David mean, “I shall go to him…”?
69. Bathsheba later had another son, his name was?
READ II SAMUEL 13:1-31, 37
70. How did Ammon trick Tamar to come to him?
71. Were they related?
72. What did Ammon do to Tamar? (vs. 14)
73. Who was Tamar’s (full) brother?
How did he feel about what had happened?
74. How long did it take Absalom to avenge his sister?
75. What was David’s reaction when he heard of Ammon’s death?
76. Why do you think all this took place?
READ II SAMUEL 14:25-28 15:7-17
77. Describe Absalom:
How long had it been since he had seen his father
78. What was Absalom really after? (vs. 12)
79. What was David forced to do?
80. Why do you think all of this took place?
READ II SAMUEL 18:6-17, 31-33
81. How many of Absalom’s men were slain by David’s army?
82. What happened to Absalom as he tried to escape?
83. Why didn’t the servant kill Absalom?
84. Who did kill Absalom?
85. What did they do with his body?
86. How did David react when he heard the news of Absalom’s death?
87. Why did all these things take place?
READ II SAMUEL 21:15-22
88. In verse 15, David grew faint in battle, what was this a sign of?
89. Who killed this giant for David?
90. Why would David’s men no longer let him fight in the battles?
91. How many giants were slain (total)? Where were they from?
92. What was strange about the last giant?
NOTCIE: It is very possible that these were the brothers/sons of Goliath…maybe this was the reason that David selected five stones in the first place.
READ I KINGS 1:11-37
93. Who had appointed himself king, when he figured David was about to die?
94. What plan did Nathan and Bathsheba have?
95. Why was it so important that David pick the next king? (vs. 20)
96. What would have happened to Bathsheba and Solomon, if David had not named Solomon as the next king? 97. What did David arrange so that the people would know his choice?
READ I KINGS 2:1-10, 24-25, 28-34
98. In verse 1-4-- David tells Solomon to do what?
99. In verse 5-6-- What does David request concerning Joab?
100. How long had David been king?
101. What happened to Adonijah? (vs. 24-25)
102. Who was sent to eliminate Joab? (vs. 29)
103. Why was Joab to be killed? (vs. 31)
104. Where was Joab killed?
Where was he buried?
I KINGS 2:3-- Advice from David to Solomon
“And keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, and His commandments…that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest…”
MARY, MARY, MARY
“Merrily Sorting Through The Marys'”
A. Mary, The Mother Of Jesus
Arguably the best known Mary of the Bible
Honored beyond her humanity (False concepts)
Immaculate Conception (Anne)
--Mary was born without original sin
Remained a virgin throughout her lifetime…no children
Queen of Heaven
Mother Of God
Let’s Find The Truth
Vs. 26--How long had Elizabeth been pregnant when the angel appeared to Mary?
What was the angel’s name?
What city did Mary live in? Where was the city located?
Vs. 27-- How is Mary described by Luke?
_____________ -- No sexual relationship prior to marriage
_____________ -- Promised/engaged to a man named ______________
Both Joseph and Mary were direct descendants of _______________
Vs. 28-- What did the angel say was God’s estimation of Mary?
Highly _____________; The Lord is ______ thee; ____________ among women.
Vs. 29-- What was Mary’s initial response?
Vs. 30-- What were the angel’s words?
Vs. 31-- What did the angel say would happen to Mary?
What was to be the son’s name: __________________
Vs. 32-33 List five promises concerning the child:
He shall be g___________
He shall be called the s________ o____ t_____ h____________
God will give him the t___________ o____ D_____________
He shall r_____________ over Israel f______________
His kingdom will never e________
Vs. 34-- How can I get pregnant and have a child without having a physical relationship with a man?
Vs. 35--What explanation did Mary receive?
THOUGHT: Many people struggle over the VIRGIN BIRTH. They say it is impossible, it could never happen.
Which is harder to believe?
God takes tiny cells from a man, places them in a woman and she gives birth to a child.
God takes dirt and dust from the ground an makes a living, breathing man
God takes a rib from a man, and forms a living, breathing woman.
God places a child inside Mary
Vs. 36-37-- What example did the angel use to convince Mary that God can do the impossible?
Vs. 38--Did Mary accept the arrangement that was proposed by God?
Vs. 39-- Where did Mary immediately go when the angel departed?
Vs. 41-- What happened to Elisabeth’s baby when he heard Mary sharing the news from Gabriel?
Vs. 43-- What does Elisabeth call Mary?
Vs. 45-- Elisabeth tells Mary she is ______________ because she ___________.
Elisabeth is ________________ that everything the angel said would happen.
Vs. 46-- My soul doth ____________ the Lord
Vs. 47-- My spirit hath _______________
Vs. 48-- She considers herself ____________
She understands that this event will effect a lot of _____________________
Vs. 49-51- God is m___________; h___________; m_________________;
Vs. 51-55-- God has s______________ the proud; He hath put down the
m____________; He hath filled the h______________; He hath sent the rich
away e___________. He has stepped up to help I____________. He has
kept his promises to A_______________.
Vs. 56-- How long did Mary stay with Elisabeth?
Vs. 16--Matthew lists Joseph’s genealogy…
Vs. 18--Mary was ______________ to Joseph.
Vs. 19--What word is used to describe Joseph?
What was Joseph’s plan for Mary?
Vs. 21-- What does the name Jesus mean?
Vs. 25--This child’s birth has nothing to do with _______________.
This will take the consent of both Joseph and Mary!
LUKE 2:1-7; 16-52
Vs. 1-- Who was the Roman emperor?
Vs. 2-- Who was the governor of Syria?
Vs. 4--Why did Joseph and Mary go to Bethlehem for the taxation?
Vs. 5-- Where was Mary in her pregnancy?
Vs. 7--Why did baby Jesus end up in a manger?
Vs. 17-- What did the shepherds do with the knowledge of the child?
Vs. 19-- What was Mary’s reaction to the shepherds and all the attention?
Vs. 21-- When was the baby named? What was the baby named?
Vs. 22-24--What was the procedure/sacrifice for newborn boys?
SIMEON BLESSES THE CHILD
Vs. 33--What was the reaction to Simeon’s blessing?
Vs. 34-- Simeon specifically speaks to ______________.
Vs. 35-- “A ___________ shall pierce through _______ ___________”
Vs. 40-- The child __________, and waxed strong in __________, filled with
_____________ and the __________ of God was upon him.
Vs. 41--How often did Mary and Joseph go to Jerusalem?
Vs. 43-46--At what age did Jesus find his way to the temple?
Where did Jesus’ parents think he was?
How long had Jesus been AWOL?
Vs. 46-47-- Jesus _____________ and ______________questions of the leaders.
They also ____________him and marveled at what he knew.
Vs. 48--Mary questions Jesus as a mom…What is her complaint?
*Implied is that Jesus did something wrong!
Vs.49--Jesus’ defense…you should not have to look…you should know where to find me.
*Seems a little rude, if he did not discuss it with them ahead of time…
Vs. 50--Did Mary and Joseph understand?
*NOTE: It is possible by now that Mary and Joseph have seven children…no wonder they lost one; Had they forgotten who Jesus was?….unlikely.
Did they know God’s plan for Jesus…only partially.
Vs.51--Jesus was ___________ to his parents.
*NOTE: If there ever was a child who was stronger and smarter than his parents. If there was ever a child who could say, you just don’t understand…it would have been Jesus. Yet he willingly submitted to their authority.
Mary again….kept all these sayings in her ____________
Vs. 52--In what three ways did Jesus increase/grow?
____________ ____________ ____________ ____________
Vs. 54-- When Jesus was in his own country, what question was on everyone’s mind?
Vs. 55--What was Joseph’s occupation?
Name Jesus’ four brothers: ___________ ____________ ___________
Vs. 56--Jesus’ sisters are mentioned….how many?
Vs. 57--Did the people of his own country believe he was the Messiah?
Vs. 58--Why did Jesus only do a few miracles?
Vs. 1--Mary is invited to a wedding in _____________
(She might be the wedding coordinator)
Vs. 2--Who else was invited?
Vs. 3--What information does Mary share with Jesus?
*What does Mary want Jesus to do?
Vs. 4--What is Jesus’ response?
Vs. 5--What instructions does Mary give to the servants?
Vs. 25-- What four women are mentioned as being “at the cross”?
Vs.26--To who did Jesus entrust the care of His mom?
How does John refer to himself?
ACTS 1:4, 5, 12-14
Vs. 4--What were Jesus’ followers to wait for?
Vs. 5--What was the promise of the Father?
Vs. 12--Where was this upper room where everyone was waiting?
Vs.14--What were the followers of Christ doing?
Vs. 14--Who else besides the disciples are listed as being in the room?
The ___________; _________ and Jesus’ _______________
*NOTE: Safe to assume that Jesus appeared to His mother as well as his brothers after the resurrection.
B. MARY (The mother of John Mark)
Mark 14:12-17 (John Mark’s Home)
LAST SUPPER LOCATION
Vs. 12--What was the Jewish holy day?
What was the question on the minds of the disciples?
Vs. 13--(Luke 22:8) Who were the two disciples?
Who were they to follow?
Vs. 15--Doesn’t it appear that previous arrangements had been discussed?
Vs. 16-- The home and the large upper room was in what city?
UPPER ROOM AFTER ASCENSION OF JESUS
Vs. 12--After the ascension on the Mount Of Olives, where did the disciples go?
Vs. 13--The upper room is mentioned again…same one or different?
How many disciples are mentioned by name as being in the upper room?
Vs. 14--What were they doing?
Vs. 14--Who else was there besides the disciples?
The ____________; __________ the mother of Jesus; His ______________
PETERS RELEASE FROM PRISON
Vs. 12--What were all the people doing at John Mark’s mother’s house?
How did Peter know to go there?
Vs. 13--Is Rhoda a random door answerer…or did she work for John Mark’s mom?
How could she recognize the voice of Peter?
(It never says she saw him)
C. Mary (The sister of Martha and Lazarus)
Vs. 38--Who was Mary’s sister?
Vs. 39--Where was Mary positioned?
What other notation is made concerning Mary’s attentiveness?
Vs. 40--How does the verse describe Martha’s view of serving?
“Cumbered”-- hindered; obstructed; bogged down
Martha’s question is accusatory toward Jesus…you know I need her to help me, and you’re not making her do it!
Martha means well…however
Vs. 41-- “Martha, you __________ too much!”
NOTE: I wonder if Jesus could say the same thing to us?
Vs. 42-- What is the “needful thing” and the “good part”?
*NOTE: Sometimes we are so busy serving God (doing what we think God wants us to do); that we don’t take time to really listen to God.
What do you suppose Jesus wanted Martha to do?
Vs. 1--Who was sick in Bethany?
Vs. 2--How is he related to Mary and Martha?
Who was the woman in Matthew 26 who poured the ointment on Jesus?
Vs. 3--Why did the sister send word to Jesus that Lazarus was sick?
Vs. 5--What is the relationship between Jesus and Lazarus, Mary and Martha?
Vs. 18--How far was Bethany from Jerusalem?
*NOTE: 8 furlongs in a mile
Vs. 19--What was the community’s response to Lazarus’ death?
Vs. 20--Which of the sisters was the first to confront Jesus?
Vs. 21--Just like before…almost sounds like a rebuke?
What did Martha say?
Vs. 22--What does Martha feel Jesus is capable of?
Vs. 23--What statement does Jesus make about Lazarus?
Vs. 25-26--What Jesus is really saying is that Lazarus is NOT __________
Vs. 27-- How do we know that Martha WAS paying attention some of the time?
“I ____________ that thou art the __________, the _______ of _________, which
should __________ into the ___________.”
Vs. 28--Martha tried to have Mary speak ____________ with Jesus.
Vs. 31-- The crowds followed Mary. Where did they think she was going?
Vs. 32-- Mary says the same thing as Martha…do you suppose they had talked among themselves?
How does Mary approach Jesus?
Vs. 33--Why did Jesus groan in His spirit?
Vs. 35-- Why did Jesus weep?
Vs. 36-- What was the conclusion of the on lookers?
Matthew 26:6-13; John 12:1-8
Vs.6-- Whose home was Jesus in? What city?
*Possibly at Simon’s house because the Pharisees were watching Lazarus’ house!
Vs. 7-- The perfume or precious ointment was in what kind of container?
*NOTE: Precious ointment given to her by her family, or purchased with money she earned…it was normally saved for the girl’s wedding. The ointment would be poured out upon the groom as a sign of her complete commitment to him.
What did the woman do with the ointment?
Vs. 8--The disciples, at the prodding of _____________, called this a ___________.
Vs. 9--What other possible use for the ointment did they see?
Vs. 10--What does Jesus consider this act? A __________ _____________
Vs. 12--What did Jesus say the woman was preparing Jesus for?
Vs. 13--Jesus memorializes the act by saying it shall never be forgotten.
JOHN 12:2--Who else was at this meal?
12:6-- What was Judas’ real interest in the perfume?
12:10-- Because of this miracle, _____________ life was threatened as well.
D. MARY MAGDALINE
Vs. 55-- Who were the women who were watching the crucifixion from afar off?
Where were they from?
Vs. 56-- Name some of these women: _________ _______________; __________, the mother of James and Joses; and ____________ the mother of James and John
Vs. 57-58--Who asked for the body of Jesus?
Vs. 59-60-- What did Joseph do with the body?
_________it in a clean __________ cloth
_________ it in his own _______ tomb
Rolled a_________ _________ to the door
Vs. 61-- Who was watching this whole process?
When did the women return to the sepulchre?
Vs. 40--Where are the woman?
Name the women in the group: M_____ M___________; M______ the mother of
James and Joses; S___________
Vs. 41--Where did these women primarily minister to Jesus
Were these three the only ones?
Vs. 43-- Who begged to have the body of Jesus?
How is Joseph of Arimathea described?
-- _____________ ______________
-- W__________ for the ____________ of ___________
Vs. 44-- Why was Pilate surprised?
Vs. 46-- What did Joseph of Arimathea do with the body?
--Bought _________ __________
--Took him _________
--Wrapped him in the __________
--Laid him in the _______________
--_____________ a stone unto the ____________.
Vs. 1-2-- When did the women return to the sepulchre?
What did they bring with them?
Vs. 3-- What was their main concern?
Vs. 5-- What did the women find inside the sepulchre?
Vs. 6-7- Why did the “young man” tell them not to be afraid?
--Jesus is ___________
--He is not __________
--Go tell the _____________
-- Jesus will meet you in _______________
Vs. 8-- What was their reaction to the event?
--Went out _____________; They ________ from the sepulchre;
-- They ___________ and were ___________; No ______________;
--They were __________!
Vs. 9-- Who did Jesus appear to first?
What additional information is learned about Mary Magdalene?
Vs.2-- Who accompanied Jesus and the disciples?
Again, how is Mary Magdalene described?
Vs. 3-Who else is named among the women who followed Jesus?
J___________; S___________; and many others.
Vs. 10-- What additional name is added to the list from Mark 15:40?
John 19:25-- Where is Mary Magdalene?
Vs. 1--How early was it?
Vs. 2-- To whom did Mary report her findings?
What did she think had happened?
Vs. 4-10- RACE TO THE SEPULCHRE :}
Who wins the race?
Who went INTO the sepulcher first?
Who claims to have understood what was going on first?
Vs. 11-- The disciples went back home…what did Mary do?
Vs. 12-- What did Mary now see in the sepulcher?
Vs. 13-- Why did Mary say she was crying?
Vs. 14-- Who then appeared to Mary?
Did she immediately know who he was?
Vs. 15-- Who did she think Jesus was?
What was Mary’s offer to the gardener?
Vs. 16-- What took place that helped Mary recognize Jesus?
Vs. 17-- Evidently it seems Mary wanted to do what?
Jesus asks her to wait…and tell the disciples what?
E. MARY (The mother of James and Joses) (wife of Cleophas)
Vs. 55-- Again where were these women?
Vs. 56--How is this Mary described?
--Mother of _________ and ___________
Vs. 61--How is Mary referred to in this verse?
Vs. 2-- What had happened prior to the arrival of the two Mary’s?
Who rolled the stone away?
Where is that angel now?
Vs. 3-- Describe the angel:
Vs. 4-- What happened to the tomb keepers?
Vs. 5-- Seems like the women and the tomb keepers were together…
It was ok for the keepers to be paralyzed with fear…
What did the angel tell the women?
Vs. 6-- He is not _________: for he is __________, as he ________. Come
______ the __________ where the _________ _______.
Vs. 8-- What emotions were the women experiencing as they left the tomb?
Vs. 9-- What happened on the way to report to the disciples?
What was the reaction of the women to seeing Jesus?
How does this differ from the account where Mary Magdalene sees just first?
John 19:25; 38-42
Vs. 25-- Where do we find the women now?
How is this Mary referred to now?
Wife of ________________
NEW ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Vs. 38-- How is Joseph of Arimathea described now?
Vs. 39-- Who worked along side Joseph?
How many spices were brought?
Vs. 40-- Why did they wrap up the body in linen?
Vs. 41-- How is the burial spot of Jesus described?
A ________ sepulcher in a ____________.
F. MARY (Roman believer)
Romans 16:6-- How is Mary described by Paul?